Matt Alderton has a post on how to democratize your workplace. He shares what Traci Fenton, founder and CEO of WorldBlu, says on how we, employees at all levels, can improve our working lives by making our workplace more democratic.
- Get Naked: Be as authentic, open and as transparent as possible
- Have a Conversation: Invite people to engage in a dialogue about the issues that matter
- Understand the Meaning of Life: Understand what your purpose and vision is for your life
- Point Fingers: Hold yourself and others accountable
- Realize That One Size Doesn’t Fit All: Do what you can to have a choice regarding the kind of work you do and the schedule you work
- Say No to Pyramid Schemes: Do what you can to empower your colleagues
Future Search by Marvin Weisbord & Sandra Janoff is a planning meeting setup involving the whole system. It has been in use since the early 1980s. I find the approach interesting since it flattens hierarchies, broaden the lines of communication, and encourages a dialogue born from the deep knowledge in each person in the system. The approach is organic in the meaning many things happen at once, greatly shortening time from idea to action. Furthermore actions can be taken without asking for permissions from anyone not present (since the whole system is in the room). Having all key people in the room dramatically improve the participants relationship to their work and their coworkers.
Future Search for product line redesign