The Convening Wheel is a way to visualize the nine aspects of convening which are described in depth in The Art of Convening: Authentic Engagement in Meetings, Gatherings, and Conversations by Craig and Patricia Neal with Cynthia Wold:
- At the Heart of the Matter. Who I am in relationship with others.
- Clarifying Intent. The alignment of our intention with the purpose of our engagement.
- The Invitation. A sincere offering to engage that integrates purpose and intent.
- Setting Context. Communicating the form, function. and purpose of our engagement and intent.
- Creating the Container. Creating the physical and energetic field within which we meet.
- Hearing All the Voices. Each person speaks, is heard. and is present and accounted for.
- Essential Conversation. Meaningful exchange within an atmosphere of trust.
- Creation. Something new that emerges from engagements of shared purpose and trust.
- Commitment to Action. An individual and/or collective agreement to be responsible and accountable for the way forward.