The following principles of conversation are from The Art of Convening by Craig & Patricia Neal with Cynthia Wold:
- … with respect for all the voices.
- … without fixing, problem-solving, advice-giving.
Speak from Your Own Experience
- Speak from the “l,”from your own experience.
- What is on your mind/heart?
Slow Down the Conversation
- Allow pauses between speakers.
- Notice your assumptions.
- Look for the surprises.
Allow Space for Difference
- Be aware of your judgments.
- Honor the questions and the inquiry.
- … and, you can always take back what you said.